Sunday, October 01, 2006

Romance?

When I was younger, the conceptual definition of 'romance' for me was all about being in the presence of someone who was enticing, in a situation of close proximity with my heart beating all over the place. Someone whom I would look at and a shiver would run up my spine and stars would pour out of my eyes like in the cartoons. I thought 'romance' was something that involved that feeling of butterflies in my tummy right before I met or when I looked into the eyes of someone special (or just a hot guy I'd been eyeing). It was that moment... that 'moment' when everything in the world would just fall into place (or fade into nonexistence) and everything would lose importance over the mere feeling of being in that space and time with that person or thing or place - whichever happened to be the subject of desire at the time.

Little has changed, I'm afraid. But just a while ago, I discovered a new meaning for romance. Romance isn't about men for women and women for men. Romance really has little and sometimes absolutely nothing to do with the opposite gender! I see it everywhere. Hell yeah. Everywhere.

This cliched romance is in dreaming about running off to England to do a Masters, and meeting all kinds of new (and old) people. Romance is in dreaming of a special hug I want to give someone I'll meet there. Romance is in the freedom I dream of. Romance is in the novel I read, in the movie I saw. Romance is in lying in bed and thinking beautiful thoughts about a job I'll have one day that'll pay me thrice what I'm being paid now! Romance is in the walls and in my glow-in-the-dark-star-covered ceiling! Romance is conjuring up the wildest of philosophies about the most pointless of things and conveying them to someone who's really, really interested - someone who will love me for the very wackiness of my thinking abilities!

Romance is even in wanting to commit the darkest, most beautiful of sins... and having a conscience too big to allow one to go through with it at the last minute. Romance is in goodbyes, romance is in rejections. Romance is in tears and romance is in uncontrollable, cheek-aching laughter that only some can relate to and fewer can share with me.

Overuse of the word 'romance', people. I'm ditzy. Could I be in love?

A love affair with life. Hmmm.
Now that is one affair I'll never feel guilty about saying 'yes' to...

Indulge ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Romance is...a job I'll have one day that'll pay me thrice what I'm being paid now!..."

well, this is a sort of incremental-romance... don't see that coming to an end ever and before long u wont consider it romance!

bout goodbyes, rejections, conscience, committing sins & tears... you got it right!

No, you're not in love ... :)

Anonymous said...

damn girl, you still at it :)
long, long, lononnggg time, no see no hear.
And I stumble onto your blog, and find you talking about Romance. And in Ramdhan on top of that :P :P.
and in my oh-so-humble opinion, wishing to earn three times more sounds adventourous enough to be quite romantic indeed!!
i hope all is well...
God bless,
M.

Viks said...

I guess it all depends on how one would interpret the word 'Romance'.

I think you're looking more towards the connotation of 'Romance'.

In the end 'Romance' is still a romantic love affair.

The romance you just mentioned is something I'll list in the column of gladness, happiness, etc.

Nice post =)